How to Find a Section 173 Agreement

Are you looking to buy a property or develop land in Victoria, Australia? If so, you may need to find a Section 173 agreement. This agreement is a legal document that outlines any restrictions or obligations that apply to a specific property or development.

Here’s how to find a Section 173 agreement:

1. Check the Title

The first place to look for a Section 173 agreement is on the title of the property. A Section 173 agreement will be listed as a ‘restriction’ or ‘encumbrance’ on the title.

To access the title, you can search online through the Victorian Land Titles Office or engage a conveyancer or solicitor to conduct a title search on your behalf.

2. Contact the Local Council

If you cannot find a Section 173 agreement listed on the title, the next step is to contact the local council. The council is responsible for issuing Section 173 agreements and will be able to provide you with a copy if one exists.

You can find the contact details for the local council on the Victorian government website or by conducting a quick online search.

3. Check the Planning Permit

Another way to find a Section 173 agreement is to check the planning permit for the property or development. Often, a Section 173 agreement will be a condition of the planning permit.

You can access planning permits through the local council or the Victorian Planning Authority.

4. Engage a Professional

If you are having trouble finding a Section 173 agreement or are unsure of the implications of the agreement, it may be beneficial to engage a professional such as a conveyancer, solicitor, or town planner to assist you.

A professional with experience in property development and planning will be able to guide you through the process and ensure that you are fully informed of your obligations and any restrictions.

In conclusion, the process of finding a Section 173 agreement may seem daunting, but with the right knowledge and resources, it can be a straightforward process. Checking the title, contacting the local council, reviewing the planning permit, and engaging a professional if necessary, are all steps that can help you locate a Section 173 agreement and understand its implications.

Posted in Uncategorized